Prevent Heat Gain From The Sun
- Sun shining in through windows and doors literally warms your home like an oven. Use windo coverings to keep the sun out and your home’s temperature cooler.
Maintain Your A/C Unit
- For central air, have a professional check the unit annually. He or she will perform a proper tune-up and can spot some potential problems before they become emergencies.
- Change the filter on your HVAC unit regularly all year long.
Run Ceiling Fans
- Run ceiling fans at a fast speed in a counterclockwise direction to create a wind chill effect. Turn th fan off when you leave the room; fans cool people, not rooms.
- Cracks and leaks around windows, doors, and utility cut- outs allow warm air to enter the home and cause your A/C unit t work harder. Seal or caulk leaks and holes.
Use Your Thermostat Wisely
- Try to keep your thermostat as close to the outdoor temperat e as possible. The Department of Energy recommends at least 78 degrees when you are Tu n up the thermostat even higher when you are away to prevent your A/C unit from running unnecessarily. A programmable or smart thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature to ensure you are cooling your home when you need to and not when you don’t.
- When first turning on the air conditioner, don’t turn the temperature way down to jump- start the cooling Your A/C unit doesn’t work faster because the temperature is lower, but it could cause it to run longer than necessary.
Be Smart About Appliances
- Only run full loads in your washer and dishwasher.
- Let your dishes air-dry instead of using the heat setting. Prop the door open once the final rinse is complete for faster drying.
- Cook or grill outside when you can to avoid running your stove or oven.
- Buy Energy-Star certified appliances; these appliances are guaranteed to run more efficiently than noncertified ones.
PIE&G members: Learn about ways to save money and apply for rebates on energy-efficient appliances. You can also participate in free programs to help you assess and improve your home’s overall efficiency. Business and farm programs are available as well.
Explore pieg.com/eo, or call our EO team at 877-296-4319 (M–F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)