PIE&G has authorized Advanced Meter Services (AMS) to assist them with their AMI meter technology upgrades to its system. Several crews from AMS began working on May 1 in Cheboygan county including the Mullet Lake and Fingerboard areas, and on Bois Blanc Island in Mackinac county. AMS employees are wearing high visibility vests and are driving white vehicles that have both the Advanced Meter Services and red PIE&G logos on display.
Members were notified in advance of this work via letter in April. Going forward, PIE&G will use postcard notices to members as we identify the next area that will be scheduled for the meter upgrades to take place.
Upon full implementation of the AMI project (estimated to be operational in early 2022), member benefits will include:
- no longer need to read the meter,
- access to usage history and billing information to help you manage energy and save money,
- more accurate billings (no estimates) or large ‘catch up’ bills,
- automated outage detection for faster response and restorations,
- better system monitoring to isolate problems for prompt repairs and maintenance, and
- lower costs related to sending employees to obtain in-person manual meter readings.
Please check back for future updates on this site, in our Spotlight and in Country Lines, as information will be posted as it becomes known.