During construction, when working in or near an area containing underground gas facilities, be alert to the following signs of potential hazard:
- Natural gas odor in or near your excavation site. To make it easier to recognize natural gas, a rotten egg odor is added. However, some natural gas pipelines in Michigan do not carry odorized gas.
- Apparent or non-apparent damage to pipes that have been broken pulled, dislodged or gouged.
- Brown patches in vegetation on or near a right-of-way.
- Dry spots in moist earth.
- Evidence of blowing (gas) noise, blowing dirt or bubbling mud or water.
- Fire coming from the ground or burning above the ground.
Notify the gas utility owner if any of the above are observed.